In the News
Some of the past events, workshops or conferences in which Kristin has had a role.
Engaging the Angry Client
November 29, 2012
EDT-UK APT Core Group Training
October 6-8, 2012
Engaging the Angry Client
September 15, 2012 (10:00-12:45)
Hosted by Boston College
NASW MA Symposium 2012
March 29-30, 2012
Sheraton Framingham Hotel and Executive Conference Center
To view more, go to www.naswma.org
Introduction to APT, Brattleboro Retreat
April 20. 2012
The Brattleboro Retreat, Brattleboro, Vermont
To view more, go to www.regonline.com/builder/site/Default.aspx?EventID=1050348
Two Day Workshop at SAPU in Stockholm, Sweden
May 10-12, 2012
July 20-22 2012
APT Core Group Training in London, England>
January 21-23, 2012
APT Core Group Training
March 17-19, 2012
Introduction to STDP-APT
November 21-23, 2011
- This workshop demonstrated how to fine-tune anxiety regulation and defense relinquishing in order to access avoided feeling. Many videotaped segments were shown and opportunities to role-play. There was a particular focus on developing self and other compassion, experience and healthy expression of anger and grief, cultivating and maintaining positive feelings of self, working within family systems, and termination with clients. An overview of recent research results was also included and opportunities to explore how to use this treatment with complex cases.
Working with the Angry Client: Beyond Anger Management October 22, 2011
For more information on this training please call Kristin at 978-274-5575 or contact her here.
- October 22, 2011
- This training will take place at the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
- Boston, MA
Advanced STDP-APT October 10-12, 2011
For more information on this training please call Kristin at 978-274-5575 or contact Marieke Van Dam
- October 10-12, 2011
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
Introduction to STDP-APT July 8-12, 2011
For more information on this training please call Kristin at 978-274-5575 or contact Eva Hedenstedt
- July 8-12
- Location: Hotel Garbí in Northern Catalonia, Spain. The Hotel Garbi is situated in one of the most beautiful areas of the Costa Brava and the Baix Empordà. A region characterized for its geographic variety, from the plain to the mountain, from the Pyrenees to the coast, it is an amazing destination.
- Please note, for a special hotel rate be sure to contact Eva Hedenstedt (contact info above) rather than Hotel Garbí.
- This workshop demonstrates how to fine-tune anxiety regulation and defense relinquishing in order to access avoided feeling. Many videotaped segments will be shown and opportunities to role-play so students can immediately use with their patients. There will be particular focus on developing self and other compassion, experience and healthy expression of anger and grief, cultivating and maintaining positive feelings of self, working within family systems, and termination with clients. An overview of recent research results will also be included and an opportunity to explore how to use this treatment with complex cases.
The Work of Leigh McCullough’s STDP-APT May 26,27 2011
For more information on this training please contact Dr. James Macdonald
- May 26, 27
- St. John’s College
- British Psychological Society
- Oxford, England
Affect Phobia Therapy: Core Group Training in Short-term Dynamic Psychotherapy
Core Training in Affect Phobia Therapy begins Fall 2010 with four three day blocks of training. Training and supervision is offered to all approved licensed mental health professionals and graduate students in training at accredited universities.
In the first three day workshop the therapist will learn how to identify Affect Phobia, use Malan’s Triangle of Conflict and Triangle of Person, how to differentiate between adaptive and maladaptive feelings, how to create a core conflict formulation in collaboration with the patient, and how to begin regulating anxiety and confronting defenses. This workshop includes the use of two books, “Changing Character” and “Treating Affect Phobia,” instruction by an affect phobia therapist, research scales that can be used to evaluate progress of both the therapist and patient, video excerpts, role playing, and discussion.
Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy
- Three-day workshop for experienced psychotherapists
- 1st, 2nd and 3th of July 2010
- Rino Noord-Holland
This workshop demonstrates how to fine-tune anxiety regulation and Defense relinquishing in order to access avoided feeling. Many videotaped Segments will be shown and opportunities to role-play so students can immediately use with their patients. Particular focus on developing self and other compassion, experience and healthy expression of anger and grief,cultivating and maintaining positive feelings of self, working within family systems, and termination.
An overview of recent research results will also be included and an opportunity to explore how to use this treatment with complex cases.
Affect Phobia Treatment Training Group
1150 Main Street Suite 2C Concord, MA 01720
September 2009-June 2010
This training group is designed for clinicians interested in fine-tuning their interactive psychotherapy skills. We’ll focus on how to encourage your patients to replace destructive behaviors, thoughts, and feelings with healthier ones while learning how to transform anxiety that can get in the way. Exposure to video-segments of psychotherapy intensifies and accelerates the learning process and students are encouraged, but not required to bring video segments of current psychotherapy sessions. Students control their own level of learning outside of the training group and each month will focus on a chapter from the workbook, Treating Affect Phobia.
Required Text: Treating Affect Phobia.
Cost is depended on # of students that sign up for the training group.
Please contact Kristin Osborn for more information or call 978-274-5575.
APA 117th Annual Convention August 6-9, 2009
Kristin’s role in this symposium for the American Psychological Association is titled “Application of Affect Phobia in Practice: A Videotaped Case Presentation.” In this presentation she will examine the link between patient change process and outcome by demonstrating (through the use of videotape) the adaptive shifts in behavior that occurred in the Affect Phobia approach of Short-term Dynamic Psychotherapy (STDP) in the treatment of a single patient.
RINO-Noord, November 24-27, 2008
Training and supervision by Kristin A. R. Osborn and Ferruccio Osimo at RINO-Noord in Amsterdam, Holland.
This workshop consisted of a one-day training on Monday, November 24th to introduce Affect Phobia Therapy as developed by Leigh McCullough at Harvard Medical School; a two-day workshop on Wednesday, November 26th and Thursday, November 27th for experienced psychotherapists, and a one-day supervision on Friday, November 26th. Ferrucio joined the workshop on Thursday and co-led supervision on Friday. You can get more details on the one day workshop here You can also get more details on the two day workshop and supervision here.
Kristin Osborn is an Associate at Harvard Medical School. She was trained by Leigh McCullough and does research and training with her at HMS. They co-authored a chapter in the book, Clinical Strategies for Becoming a Master Psychotherapist. Leigh McCullough is the author of Changing Character and co-author of Treating Affect Phobia and is currently the Director of Research at Modum Bad in Vikersund, Norway. For more information, you can go to www.affectphobia.com.
Ferruccio Osimo trained with David H. Malan and Habib Davanloo. He did research with Malan, and they and co-authored a book, Psychodynamics, Training and Outcome in Brief Psychotherapy. (1992) He also did research with McCullough on the ATOS scale. Ferruccio was the co-founder and president of the IEDTA, is widely published and currently offers core training in EDT in Italy and in the UK and is an adjunct professor at Milan University.